I had different experience with expanding partition for new producer and
its impact.  I only tried for non-key message.    I would always advice to
keep batch size relatively low or plan for expansion with new java producer
in advance or since inception otherwise running producer code is impacted.

Here is mail chain:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/kafka-dev/201411.mbox/%3ccaoejijit4cgry97dgzfjkfvaqfduv-o1x1kafefbshgirkm...@mail.gmail.com%3E

Thanks,

Bhavesh