This has been covered in passing in the preceding threads but I'd like to make
it explicit, can we have a command line option/script for getting the Kafka
version (probably with Scala version too)?

I ran into this recently, where we wanted to verify that the right version of
Kafka had been installed on a number of machines. I ended up getting the
version number from the bundled jars but it wasn't ideal. Being able to run
kafka --version would have been great.

---
Daniel