Several months ago, I'd posted a lot of stuff here about an issue I was
seeing, where the data segments for some topics were getting corrupted, for no
obvious reason.

   We tried a bunch of stuff and got a bunch of advice, none of which helped,
other than to cause there to be more documentation for the kafka decoder in
wireshark/tshark. :-)

   We'd gotten to a point where the next step was going to be to upgrade all
the things, as we'd walked well into the "I don't know, just try *something*"
part of the debugging effort.  We were using Java 6 at the time.

   We upgraded everything to use 1.7.0_55-fcs, and that made the problem go
away: we haven't seen it in months.

   I don't really like this because I like to know why things break for the
inevitable time when they break again, but hey, it did at least work, and it
let me make progress again.

   Anyway, nothing earth-shattering, but I did figure that I should post some
sort of resolution, especially since there some discussion recently of Java 6
EOL...

   Thanks for the help, and sorry it kinda wasted everyone's time (hey, myself
included, if that makes anyone feel better :-) ).

        -Steve