Yes, we did make an incompatible change in OffsetCommitRequest in 0.8.2,
which is a mistake. The incompatible change was introduced in KAFKA-1012 in
Mar, 2014 when we added the kafka-based offset management support. However,
we didn't realize that this breaks the wire protocol until much later. Now,
the wire protocol has evolved again and it's a bit hard to fix the format
in version 0. I can see a couple of options.

Option 1: Just accept the incompatible change as it is.
The argument is that even though we introduced OffsetCommitRequest in
0.8.1, it's not used in the high level consumer. It's possible that some
users of SimpleConsumer started using it. However, that number is likely
small. Also, the functionality of OffsetCommitRequest has changed since
it's writing the offset to a Kafka log, instead of ZK (for good reasons).
So, we can document this as a wire protocol and functionality incompatible
change. For users who don't mind the functionality change, they will need
to upgrade the client to the new protocol before they can use the new
broker. For users who want to preserve the old functionality, they will
have to write the offsets directly to ZK. In either case, hopefully the
number of people being affected is small.

Option 2: Revert version 0 format to what's in 0.8.1.
There will be a few issues here. First, it's not clear how this affects
other people who have been deploying from trunk. Second, I am not sure that
we want to continue supporting writing the offset to ZK in OffsetCommitRequest
since that can cause ZK to be overloaded.

Joel Koshy,

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Jun