Hi, all

We test our production kafka, and getting such error

[2015-01-15 19:03:45,057] ERROR Error in acceptor (kafka.network.Acceptor)
java.io.IOException: Too many open files
        at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.accept0(Native Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.accept(
ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:241)
        at kafka.network.Acceptor.accept(SocketServer.scala:200)
        at kafka.network.Acceptor.run(SocketServer.scala:154)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I noticed some other developers had similar issues, one suggestion was "

Without knowing the intricacies of Kafka, i think the default open file
descriptors is 1024 on unix. This can be changed by setting a higher ulimit
value ( typically 8192 but sometimes even 100000 ).
Before modifying the ulimit I would recommend you check the number of
sockets stuck in TIME_WAIT mode. In this case, it looks like the broker has
too many open sockets. This could be because you have a rogue client
connecting and disconnecting repeatedly.
You might have to reduce the TIME_WAIT state to 30 seconds or lower.

"

We increase the open file handles by doing this:

insert "kafka - nofile 100000" in /etc/security/limits.conf

Is that right to change the open file descriptors?  In addition, it says to
reduce the TIME_WAIT, where about to change this state? Or any other
solution for this issue?

thanks

--

Alec Li