Jun,

I don't know if it was an issue with graphite or the mbean but I have not
seen it since - and we have tried of several cases of failover and this
problem has only been seen once.

That said, I have the feeling that it was a kafka issue and I'm a bit
suspicious about the new mbeans.

I attach a screenshot from the grafana dashboard and if you look at the
first graph (top left) at ~10% it shows the startup after upgrade.

This is a 3 node cluster with a topic of 2 partitions. When we start up a
single producer it produces messages to both partitions without message
loss. I know that all messages are acked.

 If you look at the "produce message msg/sec" graph it seems to hit 2
servers (it's per broker)

Bad picture but