<< My goal is to be able to hide the underlying hosts from the producer and
be able to use a virtual endpoint (like the vip).

That is a typical approach and good to be done if you can for the reasons
you brought up. The first call of a producer is to "bootstrap" itself with
the list of kafka brokers (through a metadatarequest) and their current
ownership. More on that here
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/A+Guide+To+The+Kafka+Protocol#AGuideToTheKafkaProtocol-Partitioningandbootstrapping
if you are interested.

 Joe Stein