noodles,
   Without an external mechanism you won't be able to mark individual
messages/offsets as needing to be retried at a later time. Guozhang is
describing a way to get the offset of a message that's been received so
that you can find it later. You would need to save that into a 'failed
messages' store somewhere else and have code that looks in there to make
retries happen (assuming you want the failure/retry to persist beyond the
lifetime of the process).

Christian