Ok, so it looks like the default settings are:

offset.storage = zookeeper
dual.commit.enabled = true

The doc for 'dual.commit.enabled' seems to imply (but doesn't clearly
state) that it will only apply if offset.storage = kafka.  Is that right?
(I'm guessing not)

"*If you are using "kafka"* as offsets.storage, you can dual commit offsets
to ZooKeeper (in addition to Kafka)."

It seems to me less than ideal to have the default behavior to have
dual.commit.enabled = true, since this seems like a performance hit, no?
I'd think you'd only want this during a planned migration.

Also, I assume it's desirable to switch to using 'kafka' for offset
storage, for performance reasons?  Will it better handle a larger number of
topics?
Also, I assume the __consumer_offsets topic will be set to have an infinite
retention policy internally, is that right?  So that currently committed
offsets for a given consumer group won't be lost?

Jason