40G is really huge, generally you would want more like 4G. Are you sure you
need that? Not sure what you mean by lsof and index files being too large,
but the index files are memory mapped so they should be able to grow
arbitrarily large and their memory usage is not counted in the java heap
(in fact by having such a large heap you are taking away OS memory from
them).

-Jay