Yes, Kevin is right. It does not matter whether you run the consumer from
the same JVM or not, as long as the consumers has same group id, they are
in the same group. So in your case, you have 6 consumers in the same
consumer group. Since you have 6 partitions in the topic, assuming you
have only one consumer thread for each high level consumer, each high
level consumer will consume from one partition.

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin