Emmanuel, if it helps, here's a little more detail on the hardware spec we
are using at the moment:

12 CPU (HT enabled)
64 GB RAM
16 x 1TB SAS drives (2 are used as a RAID-1 set for the OS, 14 are a
RAID-10 set just for the Kafka log segments)

We don't colocate any other applications with Kafka except for a couple
monitoring agents. Zookeeper runs on completely separate nodes.

I suggest starting with looking at the basics - watch the CPU, memory, and
disk IO usage on the brokers as you are testing. You're likely going to
find one of these three is the constraint. Disk IO in particular can lead
to a significant increase in produce latency as it increases even over
10-15% utilization.

-Todd