Your consumer "might" belong to a consumer group. Just commit offsets to
that consumer groups/topic/partition and it will work.

That said - if you want to figure out the consumers groups that exists you
have to look in zookeeper. There is no kafka API to get or create them. In
the java client it is done internally by a zookeeper connector

the following paths seems to exists for all consumer groups
/consumers/"consumer_group"/offsets
/consumers/"consumer_group"/owners

/svante