I'm interested in this topic as well.  If you put kafka brokers inside an
autoscaling group, then AWS will automatically add brokers if demand
increases, and the ELB will automatically round-robin across all of your
kafka instances.  So in your config files and code, you only need to
provide a single DNS name (the load balancer). You don't need to specify
all your kafka brokers inside your config file.  If a broker dies, the ELB
will only route to healthy nodes.

So you get a lot of robustness, scalability, and fault-tolerance by using
the AWS services. Kafka Brokers will automatically load balance, but the
question is whether it is ok to put all your brokers behind an ELB and
expect the system to work properly.

What alternatives are there to dynamic/scalable broker clusters?  I don't
want to have to modify my config files or code if I add more brokers, and I
want to be able to handle a broker going down. So these are the reasons AWS
questions like this come up.

Thanks for any comments too. :)