Thanks Joel,

I am able to restart the brokers because this is a dev environment. That
fixed it.

I was trying to read the state-change.log and having difficultly
interpreting the log. I haven't looked at these before.

Is the only real fix to stop/start the brokers if this happens again?
Maybe I was running too many partition re-assignments. I was using kafka
manager and maybe pushing it  too much. (?)