Wes/Daniel,

can you elaborate what kind of instability you have encountered?

we are on Ubuntu 14.04.2 and haven't encountered any issues so far. in the
announcement, they did mention using Ubuntu 14.04 for better disk
throughput. not sure whether 14.04 also addresses any instability issue you
encountered or not.

Thanks,
Steven

In order to ensure the best disk throughput performance from your D2 instances
on Linux, we recommend that you use the most recent version of the Amazon
Linux AMI, or another Linux AMI with a kernel version of 3.8 or later. The
D2 instances provide the best disk performance when you use a Linux kernel
that supports Persistent Grants – an extension to the Xen block ring
protocol that significantly improves disk throughput and scalability. The
following Linux AMIs support this feature:

   - Amazon Linux AMI 2015.03 (HVM)
   - Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS (HVM)
   - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.1 (HVM)
   - SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 (HVM)