Hi Jason,

(note: Kafka 0.8.2. GA)
Got some new info below!  Could be a Kafka metrics bug....

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 2:11 PM, Jason Rosenberg <j...@squareup.com> wrote:

> I assume you are looking at a 'MaxLag' metric, which reports the worst case
> lag over a set of partitions.

No, we're looking at MBeans that look like this one:

kafka.server:type=FetcherLagMetrics,name=ConsumerLag,clientId=af_servers,topic=spm_cluster_free_system_topic-new-cdh,partition=10
      Value java.lang.Object = 0

> Are you consuming multiple partitions, and maybe one of them is stuck?

Don't think so...  Maybe what we are seeing is a Kafka bug.

Here is what we just discovered:

Dumped JMX on the consumer and we see this:

kafka.server:type=FetcherLagMetrics,name=ConsumerLag,clientId=af_servers,topic=spm_cluster_topic-new-cdh,partition=24
      Value java.lang.Object = 81560

This 81560 is also what we see in SPM - see the flat line here:
https://apps.sematext.com/spm-reports/s/eQ9WhLegW9
(you can hover over a datapoint on that 81K line to see server name, topic,
and partition)

This 81560 is just not going down.  If I look at JMX in 5 minutes, it will
show the same value - the ConsumerLag of 81560!

BUT, this gives different numbers:

 /usr/lib/kafka_2.8.0-0.8.1.1/bin/kafka-run-class.sh
kafka.tools.ConsumerOffsetChecker --zkconnect localhost:2181 --group
af_servers | grep spm_cluster_topic-new-cdh

af_servers      spm_cluster_topic-new-cdh      24  *355209634*
*355249858*       40224
af_servers_spm-afs-6.prod.sematext-1433430424202-e366dfdf-0

The delta between the bolded numbers is NOT 81560.  And if I run this
command N times the delta keeps going down, because the consumer is
catching up.  Just like you'd expect.

But the JMX number remains constant <== could this be a Kafka metrics/JMX
bug?

Thanks,
Otis