I am trying to migrate the offset storage to kafka (3 brokers of version
0.8.2.1) using the consumer property offsets.storage=kafka.  I noticed that
a new topic, __consumer_offsets got created.
But nothing is being written to this topic, while the consumer offsets
continue to reside on zookeeper.

I am using a 3 node zookeeper ensemble (version 3.4.6) and not using the
one that comes with kafka.

The current config consumer.properties now contains:

offsets.storage=kafka
dual.commit.enabled=false
exclude.internal.topics=false

Is it mandatory to use the zookeeper that comes with kafka for offset
storage to be migrated to kafka?

I tried both the approaches:

1. As listed on slide 34 of
http://www.slideshare.net/jjkoshy/offset-management-in-kafka.
2. By deleting the zookeeper data directories and kafka log directories.

None of them worked.

Thanks
Kris