I just tried it out on my 0.8.2 cluster and it worked just fine - the ISR
grew, replica factor changed and data was physically moved to new brokers.
Was there not output/no logs? I see things like

INFO Created log for partition [topicName,7] in /opt/kafka/.... with
properties {.. some json}

in server.log on new brokers.