I'm trying out the new KafkaConsumer client API in the trunk of the source
tree, and while I realise that this is a work in progress, I have a
question that perhaps someone can shed some light on.

I'm looking at how to handle various error scenarios for a Kafka client, in
particular what happens when trying to connect to the broker but it's not
available. The behaviour I'm seeing is that the client will retry
indefinitely (at the configurable interval), basically looping around in
Fetcher.awaitMetadataUpdate() forever.

I would like to have some way to fail the connection attempt to avoid the
calling thread being blocked forever. Is this possible with the current
version of the client? (Snapshot as of 16/6/15). If not, is that something
that's planned for the future?

Jan