I would be using the servers available at my place of work. I dont have
access to AWS servers. I would starting off with a small number of nodes in
the cluster and then plot a graph with x-axis as the number of servers in
the cluster and y-axis as the number of topics with partitions, before the
cluster gives up.

I need 1 help here: What parameters should I keep in mind for tuning the
JVM, if I have to see best performance ?
My machine specs: I have 4 core CPUs with 8GB RAM with 500GB HDD (RAID
Striped)

Regards,
Prabhjot

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:27 PM, JIEFU GONG <jg...@berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I think these would definitely be useful statistics to have and I've tried
> to do similar tests! The biggest difference is probably going to be the
> hardware specs on whatever cluster you decide to run it on. Maybe
> benchmarks performed on different AWS servers would be helpful too, but I'd
> like to see these!
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 10:51 PM, Prabhjot Bharaj <prabhbha...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking forward to a benchmark which can explain how many total
> number
> > of topics and partitions can be created in a cluster of n nodes, given
> the
> > message size varies between x and y bytes and how does it vary with
> varying
> > heap sizes and how it affects the system performance.
> >
> > e.g. the result should look like: t topics with p partitions each can be
> > supported in a cluster of n nodes with a heap size of h MB, before the
> > cluster sees things like JVM crashes or high mem usage or system slowdown
> > etc.
> >
> > I think such benchmarks must exist so that we can make better decisions
> on
> > ops side
> > If these details dont exist, I'll be doing this test myself on varying
> the
> > values of parameters described above. I would be happy to share the
> numbers
> > with the community
> >
> > Thanks,
> > prabcs
> >

> --
>
> Jiefu Gong
> University of California, Berkeley | Class of 2017
> B.A Computer Science | College of Letters and Sciences
>
> jg...@berkeley.edu <elise...@berkeley.edu> | (925) 400-3427

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand
binary, and those who don't"