I completely agree that community focus on 0.8.3 is important and don't
want to take away from that effort.

That said, not everyone will upgrade to 0.8.3 immediately (unfortunately),
and there is still value in releasing bugfixes on previous releases.

I'm keeping the scope very small, to make the new version safe and make the
release easier and less distracting for us. If this interferes with 0.8.3,
we will adjust course to make sure it doesn't.

Gwen