All of the information Todd posted is important to know. There was also
jira related to this that has been committed trunk:

Before that patch, log.retention.hours was used to calculate
KafkaConfig.logRetentionTimeMillis. But it was not used in LogManager to
decide when to delete a log. LogManager was only using the log.retention.ms
in the broker configuration.

Could you try setting log.retention.ms=3600000 instead of using the hours
config?

--
Grant Henke
Software Engineer | Cloudera