By efficiency, I mean maximize throughput while minimize resources on both
broker sides and consumer sides.

One example is if you have over 200 partitions on 10 brokers and you can
start 5 consumer processes to consume data, if each one is single-thread
and you do round-robin to distribute the load then each one will try to
fetch from over 40 partitions one by one through 10 connections
possibly(overall is 50),  but if it's smart enough to group partitions by
brokers, each process can have 2 separate threads(consuming from 2
different brokers concurrently). That seems a more optimal solution than
another, right?