Currently the whole KafkaConsumer interface is tagged as "
@InterfaceStability.Unstable", meaning that the API may change in the
future. We have been very careful to make any dramatic public API changes
but still cannot guarantee this will not happen.

Member-Id is assigned by the server-side coordinator upon accepting the
consumer to join the specified group, hence it cannot be manually set. But
the memberId will not change as long as the consumer is still part of the
members of the group, so you want to do some sticky assignment you can just
remember the memberId -> partitions map on the consumer side in some
persistent storage so that even when the leader who does the assignment has
failed over other new leaders can still access the past assignment history.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang