Thanks Tao, it worked.
I also played around with my test setting trying to replicate your results,
using default settings. But als long as the poll timeout is set to 100ms or
larger the only time-out I get are near the start and near the end (when
indeed there is nothing to consume). This is with a producer putting out
1000 messages a second. Maybe the load of the producer your using is not
constant? Maybe you could run a test with the
org.apache.kafka.tools.ProducerPerformance class to see if it makes a
difference?