I see the pause regardless of the client's poll timeout. I thought it might
be caused by the quota manager (which is supposed to delay fetches if a
quota is exceeded), but this is looking more like a problem in the server's
network layer. I went ahead and opened KAFKA-3135, so we can move
investigation there.

-Jason