> On Jan 27, 2016, at 8:25 PM, Sivananda Reddys Thummala Abbigari
> <sthumm...@salesforce.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> # *Kafka Version*: 0.8.2.1
>
> # *My consumer.propeties have the following properties*:
>    exclude.internal.topics=false
>    offsets.storage=kafka
>    dual.commit.enabled=false
>
> # With the above configuration the offsets should be stored in kafka
> instead of zookeeper but I see that offsets are stored in
> zookeeper(verified using "get path" command).
>
> # I can see that "__consumer_offsets" topic is created but when I run
> "bin/kafka-console-consumer.sh --zookeeper localhost:2181 --topic
> __consumer_offsets --from-beginning" nothing is returned which means the
> offsest data is not stored in the  "__consumer_offsets" topic
>
> I want to store the offsets only in kafka. Could you please let me know if
> I am missing anything?.
>
> Thank you,
> Siva.

Siva,
I think you need to pass exclude.internal.topics=false to
kafka-console-consumer.sh. Also, the messages in the __consumer_offsets topic
are stored in a binary (I think) encoded format, so you'll need to specify a
message formatter.

>From slide 32 of this deck
>http://www.slideshare.net/jjkoshy/offset-management-in-kafka,

./bin/kafka-console-consumer.sh --topic __consumer_offsets --zookeeper
localhost:2181 --formatter "kafka.server.OffsetManager$OffsetMessageFormatter"
--consumer.config consumer.properties

And make sure your consumer.properties has exclude.internal.topics=false.

-James

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged material
for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or
distribution of this email (or any attachments) by others is prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and
permanently delete this email and any attachments. No employee or agent of TiVo
Inc. is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of TiVo Inc. by
email. Binding agreements with TiVo Inc. may only be made by a signed written
agreement.