This timeout is  used while fetching metadata and for blocking when there
is not enough space in the producers memory to store the batches that are
waiting to be sent to kafka brokers.

If you increase your producers memory, reduce your linger time (and also
batch size if required) you will have enough memory and also the batches
will get drained faster.

In this case you will only block MAX 300 ms for the first metadata request.
Subsequent requests should be fast.

Thanks,

Mayuresh

--