Hi,

I am trying to wrap my head around the difference between "
session.timeout.ms" and "heartbeat.interval.ms". Clearly they are somewhat
tied to the same logic since heartbeat value should be less than 1/3 of the
session timeout.

Let me add some specific questions:

   - Will a session be considered "dead" if it hasn't received a heartbeat
   within "session.timeout.ms"? In that case giving 2*heartbeat as slack
   for missed heartbeats seem like a LOT of slack. Given the default values, a
   client will have 27 seconds(!) to be able to send a second heartbeat.
   - Why can't session timeout simply be based on heartbeat interval?

Could anyone clarify this a bit? Also, if you are writing a new consumer,
what is your reasoning when setting these two value?

Thanks,
Jens

--
Jens Rantil