Hi,
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but if it not I'm sure
someone will direct me to the proper one.
Also, I am new to Kafka (but not new to computers).

I want to write a kafka producer client for a Unisys OS 2200 mainframe. I need
to write it in C, and since I have no access to Windows / Unix / Linux
libraries, I have to develop the interface at the lowest level.

So far, I have downloaded a kafka server with associated zookeeper (kafka
_2.10-0.8.2.2). Note I have downloaded the Windows version and have it running
on my laptop, successfully tested on the same laptop with the provided provider
and consumer clients.

I have developed code to open a TCP session to the kafka server which appears
to work and I have attempted to send a metadata request which does not appear
to work. When I say it does not appear to work, I mean that I send the message
and then I sit on a retrieve, which eventually times out ( I do seem to get one
character in the receive buffer of 0235 octal). The message format I am using
is the one described by the excellent document by Jay Creps / Gwen Shapira at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/A+Guide+To+The+Kafka+Protocol
 However, it is not clear what level of kafka these message formats are
applicable for.

Can anybody offer me any advice or suggestions as to how to progress?

PS is the CRC mandatory in the Producer messages?
Many thanks in advance.

Stephen Hopson | Infrastructure Architect | Enterprise Solutions
Unisys | +44 (0)1908 805010 | +44 (0)7557 303321 |
stephen.hop...@gb.unisys.com<mailto:stephen.hop...@gb.unisys.com>

[unisys_logo]<http://www.unisys.com/>

MATERIAL and is for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in
error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from
all devices.