System configuration:

OS: Ubuntu 14.04LTS
java version "1.7.0_80", Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build
1.7.0_80-b15), Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.80-b11,
mixed mode)
kafka version: kafka_2.10-0.8.1.1
No. of brokers: 4

All,

We're experiencing a weird tcp connection leakage situation in which
if rough kafka clients do not properly close their producers after
producing messages the brokers leak connections. On broker side, we
see these connections continuously grow in numbers in ESTABLISHED
state, e.g.,

tcp6       0      0  <broker_ip>:9092       <client_ip>:46864
ESTABLISHED 14060/java

Even if we shutdown the clients completely the connections remain in
ESTABLISHED state and would not go away. We tried forced full garbage
collection on the brokers, but still the connections won't go away.
This is quite weird and I'll appreciate if someone faced similar
issues and figured out a way to cleanup the dead producer connections
without restarting the brokers.

Thanks and I'll really appreciate if you can provide some help.

jhooda