Yeah, the Java/Scala clients use the latest protocol version in their
requests and that will not work with older brokers if there are
incompatible changes (ie 0.9.0.1 clients don't work with 0.8.2.2 brokers,
but they do work with 0.9.0.0 brokers). This should be made more explicit
in the upgrade notes, it currently says:

"It is important that you upgrade your Kafka cluster before upgrading your
clients. If you are using MirrorMaker downstream clusters should be
upgraded first as well"

Depending on the outcome of KIP-35, things may or may not change in the
future.

Ismael