Hi, we ran into this problem too. The only way we were able to bypass this was
by stopping Kafka and deleting the log directory of the affected partition.
Which means, we lost data for that partition on this broker.

-James

> On Mar 8, 2016, at 1:07 AM, Anatoly Deyneka <anatoly.deyn...@ig.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I need your advice how to start server in the next situation:
> It fails on startup with FATAL error:
> [2016-03-07 16:30:53,495] FATAL Fatal error during KafkaServerStartable
> startup. Prepare to shutdown (kafka.server.KafkaServerStartable)
> kafka.common.InvalidOffsetException: Attempt to append an offset (211046544)
> to position 40048 no larger than the last offset appended (211046546) to
> xyz/00000000000210467262.index.
>        at
> kafka.log.OffsetIndex$$anonfun$append$1.apply$mcV$sp(OffsetIndex.scala:207)
>        at kafka.log.OffsetIndex$$anonfun$append$1.apply(OffsetIndex.scala:197)
>        at kafka.log.OffsetIndex$$anonfun$append$1.apply(OffsetIndex.scala:197)
>        at kafka.utils.CoreUtils$.inLock(CoreUtils.scala:262)
>        at kafka.log.OffsetIndex.append(OffsetIndex.scala:197)
>        at kafka.log.LogSegment.recover(LogSegment.scala:188)
>        at kafka.log.Log$$anonfun$loadSegments$4.apply(Log.scala:188)
>        at kafka.log.Log$$anonfun$loadSegments$4.apply(Log.scala:160)
>        at
> scala.collection.TraversableLike$WithFilter$$anonfun$foreach$1.apply(TraversableLike.scala:778)
>        at
> scala.collection.IndexedSeqOptimized$class.foreach(IndexedSeqOptimized.scala:33)
>        at scala.collection.mutable.ArrayOps$ofRef.foreach(ArrayOps.scala:186)
>        at
> scala.collection.TraversableLike$WithFilter.foreach(TraversableLike.scala:777)
>        at kafka.log.Log.loadSegments(Log.scala:160)
>        at kafka.log.Log.<init>(Log.scala:90)
>        at
> kafka.log.LogManager$$anonfun$loadLogs$2$$anonfun$3$$anonfun$apply$10$$anonfun$apply$1.apply$mcV$sp(LogManager.scala:150)
>        at kafka.utils.CoreUtils$$anon$1.run(CoreUtils.scala:60)
>        at
>        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:262)
>        at
>        at
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35849673/kafka-0-9-0-1-fails-with-fatal-exception-on-startup
>
> Thanks,
> Anatoly
> ________________________________
>
> The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for the
> use of the addressee only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not the
> intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose to others this
> message or any attachment. Please also notify the sender by replying to this
> email or by telephone (+44 (0)20 7896 0011) and then delete the email and any
> copies of it. Opinions, conclusions (etc) that do not relate to the official
> business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
> it. IG Group Holdings plc is a company registered in England and Wales under
> number 04677092. VAT registration number 761 2978 07. Registered Office:
> [...]

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged material
for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or
distribution of this email (or any attachments) by others is prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and
permanently delete this email and any attachments. No employee or agent of TiVo
Inc. is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of TiVo Inc. by
email. Binding agreements with TiVo Inc. may only be made by a signed written
agreement.