Hi,

1. Based on your design, it can be one or more topics. You can design one
topic per region or
   one topic for all region devices.

2. Yes, you need to listen to web socket messages  and write to kafka
server using kafka producer.
    In your use case, you can also send messages using Kafka Rest Proxy
from confluent.
    http://docs.confluent.io/2.0.1/kafka-rest/docs/index.html