Not a typo. This happens because the consumer closes the coordinator,
and the coordinator attempts to commit any pending offsets
synchronously in order to avoid duplicate message delivery. The
Coordinator method commitOffsetsSync will retry indefinitely unless a
non-recoverable error is encountered. If you wanted to implement a
timeout, you'd need to wire it up in commitOffsetsSync and plumb the
timeout from Coordinator.close() and Consumer.close(). It doesn't look
terribly complicated, but you should check on the dev list for more
opinions.

-Dana