Having difficulty following the use cases behind this thread so this could
be entirely noise... but I'll toss this out there in case its relevant:

We had an issue where a producer was setting the same key on every message
but distributing the publishes equally across all partitions.  We never
really noticed it until we tried to replicate the cluster to another
datacenter and all the messages ended up on a single partition...oops.

I created the above ticket and tossed together a round robin partitioner to
solve the issue.