I haven't browsed the source for the rebalance algorithm but anecdotally It
appears this is the case. In our system we have a consumer group whose
application instances are not only scaled but also split by topics (some
topics have much higher message rates).  When we perform a deployment of
one of the split instances it causes all consumers across all instances in
that group to rebalance, even those not consuming that specific topic.

In my opinion I wouldn't split the consumer group deployment by topics as
we have done but treat each consumer group as an "application identifier"
and scale that way only.

Not sure if that helps or not.

-John