You may find this interesting, although I don't believe it's exactly what
you're looking for:

https://github.com/pinterest/secor

I'm not sure how stable and commonly used it is.

Additionally, I see a lot of users use MirrorMaker for a "backup," where
MirrorMaker copies all topics from one Kafka cluster to another "backup"
cluster. I put "backup" in quotes because this architecture doesn't support
snapshotting like a traditional backup would. I realize this doesn't
address your specific use case, but thought you may find it interesting
regardless.

Sorry I'm a little late to the thread, too.

Alex