I don't think it's possible since the offsets of both clusters can be
different, you don't know if it will work correctly. When I used the mirror
maker accidentally on the  __consumer_offsets topic it also gave some
errors, so I don't know if it's technically possible. A possible future
solution would be to use the timestamp, and store it in the consumer
itself, then on a reconnect use that value to go to the correct location.