In any case, to answer the question, I think there's just an omission in
the docs. Getting by subject + version (GET
/subjects/{subject}/versions/{version} -
http://docs.confluent.io/3.0.0/schema-registry/docs/api.html#get--subjects-%28string-%20subject%29-versions-%28versionId-%20version%29)
also includes the id field to get the unique ID. The endpoint POST
/subject/{subject} is also correctly documented as returning the id, but of
course this also requires the full schema.

But also, yes, the expectation on the producer side is that it has the
schema it is going to generate data with. It simply passes the data using
that schema to the producer and the serializer transparently
registers/validates the schema and uses the resulting ID to efficiently
include the reference to the schema in the serialized data.

-Ewen

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 9:13 AM, Avi Flax <avi.f...@parkassist.com> wrote:

> Mike, the schema registry you’re using is a part of Confluent’s platform,
> which builds upon but is not affiliated with Kafka itself. You might want
> to post your question to Confluent’s mailing list:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/forum/confluent-platform
>
> HTH,
> Avi
>
> On 5/20/16, 21:40, "Mike Thomsen" <mikerthom...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >The only method I can seem to find that returns a globally unique ID for a
> >schema is POST /subjects/{subject}/versions
> >
> >Is that true or am I missing something?
> >
> >Was it designed that way because the expectation is that if a producer
> dies
> >it'll call that service again to ensure that the schema topic hasn't
> >rotated?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Mike

Ewen