Barry,

No, because Kafka also relies heavily on the OS page cache, which uses
memory. You'd roughly want to allocate enough page cache to hold all the
messages for your consumers for say, 30s.

Kafka also (in our experience on EC2) tends to run out of network far
before it runs out of memory or disk bandwidth, so colocating brokers makes
that much more likely.

Thanks

Tom Crayford, Heroku Kafka