Hi,

I am new to Kafka. We are planning to use Kafka messaging for our
application. I was playing with Kafka 0.9.0.1 version and i have following
queries. Sorry for asking basic questions.

1) I have instantiated Kafka Consumer and invoked
consumer.poll(Long.MAX_VALUE). Although i have specified timeout as
Long.MAX_VALUE, i observe my consumer to fetch records whenever the
publisher publishes a message to a topic. This makes me wonder whether
Kafka Consumer is push or pull mechanism. Please help us understand the
logic of consumer.poll(timeout).

2) What are the pros and cons of poll for long timeout vs short timeout.

Thanks and Regards
A.SathishKumar