I'd possibly check the log segments in question, by using the
DumpLogSegments tool.

Note that Kafka keeps a deleted tombstone for 24h by default after a
deletion. Are you checking for the key and the value being present during
this testing?

Sample code for the producer messages would be useful as well.

Thanks

Tom Crayford
Heroku Kafka