Hi Karin,
regarding 5 (fsyncing to disk), take a look at the broker configuration
parameters whose names start with log.flush.

http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#brokerconfigs

Marko Bonaći
Monitoring | Alerting | Anomaly Detection | Centralized Log Management
Solr & Elasticsearch Support
Sematext <http://sematext.com/> | Contact
<http://sematext.com/about/contact.html>