The issue is clearly that you're running out of resources, so I would add
more brokers and/or larger instances.

You're also using Node which is not the best for performance. A compiled
language such as Java would give you the best performance.

Here's a case study that should help:
https://engineering.linkedin.com/kafka/benchmarking-apache-kafka-2-million-writes-second-three-cheap-machines

Good luck, let us know how it goes