Newbie question, but what exactly does log.cleaner.enable=true do, and how
do I know if I need to set it to be true?

Also, if config changes like that need to be made once a cluster is up and
running, what's the recommended way to do that? Do you killall -12 kafka
and then make the change, and then start kafka again, one broker at a time?