My two cents:

Changelog topics are compacted topics, thus they do not have a
retention time (there is an exception for windowed KTable changlog
topics that are compacted and do have a retention time though).

However, I do not understand how changing retention time should fix
the issue. If your list of values grows and exceed max.message.byte
you will need to increase this parameter (or shrink you value).

Besides this, Eno's answer is the way to go. In order to figure out
internal topic names, you can use KafkaStreams#toString().

- -Matthias