> Note both ksteam and ktable source are from same topic.   When
> executed (see code below), the joined ktable is 'behind' the
> kstream so lookup will sometimes fail.  I think the ktable is just
> slower to process because it is doing more processing than
> kstream.
>
> I need to synchronize such that a record must be added to the
> ktable before the join operation occurs for the same record in
> kstream.
>
> (1) Please give hint if any options to resolve?

Synchronizing KTable and KStream for joins is a know issues. Streams
only provides a best-effort approach right now.

> (2) Once I determine a key can be deleted, can I tombstone record
> programmatically in the same process?  I am not clear on how.  My
> input topic is created by a Kafka Connect configuration (no code).

First, AFAIK your use case, you do not need to send a tombstone to the
input topic, but you your aggregation-result topic. However, this is
not possible programmatically within Streams, as you want to delete
after 2 weeks. However, you can achieve your desired behavior by
manually reconfigure the changelog topic of your list-aggregation. For
each aggregation, Streams creates a topic with name
"<application.id>-<operator-name>-changelog". By default, this topic
is configured to use cleanup policy "compacted". You can reconfigure
it using bin/kafka-topics.sh an set "cleanup.policy=compact,delete" to
also enable retention time. Furthermore, "log.retention.ms" to a ms
value of 2 weeks.

> (3) Just wanted to get opinion also, is this the type of processing
> I should be doing with kafka streams and ktables or is this
> something that might be better solved using a traditional
> database?

For sure, you can handle you use case with Streams. If DSL does not
work for you, you can always use Processor API which give you much
more flexibility to express you logic -- however, it also requires
more coding. You can also mix-and-match DSL and Processor API.

- -Matthias

afka.apache.org%3cmailto:users@kafka.apache.org>>