Hi, Hans.  I was able to get the command line producer / consumer working
with SSL but I'm not sure how to measure millisecond resolution latency
with them.  I thought maybe the '--property print.timestamp=true' argument
would help, but only has second resolution.  Do you know of any way to get
the consumer to print out a receipt time-stamp with millisecond
resolution?  Or of any extended documentation on the command line tools in
general?

Oh also, a couple other tidbits that may help:
Ubuntu 16.04
Kafka 10.1.0
openjdk version "1.8.0_111"
TLS 1.2

I was wondering if maybe this could be my problem:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25992131/slow-aes-gcm-encryption-and-decryption-with-java-8u20

I didn't specify any cipher suites in either the broker or the client
config which I gather leaves it up to the broker/client to decide during
TLS handshaking.  I'm not sure if there is an easy way to figure out which
one they ended up with...  I'll work on specifying which cipher suite I
want and try to pick something with which java is simpatico.